In 2003, all of Trunnell Elementary kicked off a three year study of the Lewis & Clark Expedition. We read about Lewis & Clark, mapped the trip, followed timelines for each day, put on plays in the classroom, and wrote about the 200 year old adventure. Our reading scores took a huge leap forward at the end of the first year of this project. Teacher Shelley Corder helped me produce a musical presentation that amazed the parents. They were on their feet tossing money at us when we took our final bow. I submitted an article to the Courier Journal's BEST column to recommend a novel, "From Sea to Shining Sea". I was so excited when it was accepted. I was even more thrilled to receive a personal letter from the book's author, James Alexander Thom. Someone from Louisville had mailed him a copy of my article. Our reading scores made such gains, we were invited to report to our Kentucky Legislators and to our Jefferson County Board of Education re: our 'Lewis & Clark' project.
Saturday, December 6, 2008
In 2003, all of Trunnell Elementary kicked off a three year study of the Lewis & Clark Expedition. We read about Lewis & Clark, mapped the trip, followed timelines for each day, put on plays in the classroom, and wrote about the 200 year old adventure. Our reading scores took a huge leap forward at the end of the first year of this project. Teacher Shelley Corder helped me produce a musical presentation that amazed the parents. They were on their feet tossing money at us when we took our final bow. I submitted an article to the Courier Journal's BEST column to recommend a novel, "From Sea to Shining Sea". I was so excited when it was accepted. I was even more thrilled to receive a personal letter from the book's author, James Alexander Thom. Someone from Louisville had mailed him a copy of my article. Our reading scores made such gains, we were invited to report to our Kentucky Legislators and to our Jefferson County Board of Education re: our 'Lewis & Clark' project.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment