Elizabeth Ann Southard (Stokes)born: 1950 at
Baptist Hospital in Louisville, KY
education: Middletown Elementary School,
Eastern High School, B.A in Education from the
University of Kentucky, M.A. in Special Education from
University of Kentucky, and a Rank I in Administration from the
University of Louisville
parents: John Blackburn Southard Sr (born in Muhlenberg County, KY in 1915-1984)
Dorothy Elizabeth Wolfe Southard
(born in Christian County, Ky in 1916)sibling: John Blackburn Southard Jr
(born: August 21, 1947/died: August 2008)married: July 8, 1972 in Louisville, KY
(divorced March 1985)daughters: Leslie Ann Stokes
(1977) and Amy Elizabeth Stokes
(1980)summer jobs: River Road Country Club (office staff '68, '69 & '70) &
Joni Talent Agency (office staff '71)
career: taught at
Second Street School in Frankfort, KY ('72-'75); taught in
Jefferson County Public Schools ('75-'86); promoted to
Gheens Academy ('86-'90); promoted to Principal of
Trunnell Elementary ('90-2005); taught at
Louisville Collegiate School ('05-'08); started a small business:
The One Room Schoolhouse in 2008
children's author: Postcards from William and
Postcards from George
I was born in 1950, Elizabeth Ann Southard at the Old Baptist Hospital on Barret Avenue in Louisville, Kentucky. My parents, John B. & Dorothy Wolfe Southard resided in the old Lynn Acres Apartment. They soon relocated in Middletown, KY. My grandparents were James Alvin & Bess Lander Hopson Wolfe of Christian County and Volna & Belle Luckett Southard of Muhlenburg County (both in Kentucky).
I attended Eastern High School where I participated in marching band and a philanthropic sorority, Kappa Chi (κχ). I also served on the school yearbook staff as Assistant Editor my junior year & Editor my senior year. I was part of a English Speaking Union student exchange program to England and Scotland my junior year. I was recognized with the PTA Award for diligence, character & dependability at graduation. At the University of Kentucky, I was honored as Phi Kappa Tau Dreamgirl (ΦΚΤ); served on the Student Center Board (chairing the Little Kentucky Derby Festival); Vice-President in '70 & President in 1971 of Associated Women Students; President of Alpha Xi Delta (ΑΞΔ) sorority '71-72; and was recognized as one of Five Top Senior Women for 1972. I received a B.A. degree in Education ('72) and a M.A. degree in Special Education ('76) from the University of Kentucky. After 15 years in the classroom, I earned a Rank I in Administration from University of Louisville in 1989.
After marrying in 1972, we lived in Lexington, Kentucky for three years. We then took up residence in St. Matthews, Kentucky in 1975. From this union were born Leslie Ann Stokes (hospital chaplain, NYU Research Hospital) and Amy Elizabeth Stokes (high school mathematics teacher).
As a long time educator in the Louisville area, I started in the classroom at
Second Street School, Frankfort, Kentucky in 1972. In 1975, I returned to Louisville to teach at
Knight Middle School for nine years and
Byck Elementary for four. I then promoted to Jefferson County Public School Central Office/
Gheens Academy where I served until promoting to a principalship at
Trunnell Elementary School in 1990. I retired from public school education with 33 years experience in 2005. While working in public education, I was awarded over $75,000 in grant dollars through the years. I was recognized by the Jefferson County School District as a candidate for
Outstanding Kentucky Special Education Teacher in 1983; awarded
Outstanding Social Studies Teacher by the K
entucky Council of Social Studies Teachers in 1985; and recognized as
Outstanding Teacher for Environmental Education by the
Kentucky Environmental Education Association in 1988, plus served as its president in 1989. In 1984, I was featured on
KET's EDUCATION NOTEBOOK. From 1985-1989, I published educational materials with the
Portland Museum. 1987, I was selected to be a
T.I.P.S. Teacher for the
Louisville Science Center.
Portland Museum education packets published in 1985:
River Boats,
Digging the Canal,
Transportation from the Past,
Mapping the Falls, and
The Falls of the Ohio. The Germantown History project (1987) producted
Walks Through Germantown,
A Good Place to Live,
On the Job in Germantown, and
Germantown Directory & Map packets. The Jeffersontown History project (1989) produced
Around the Square and
My First Walking Tour educational packets.
The National Education Association (NEA) recognized my work with their
A+ Award and I received a
Stand Up Award from the Jefferson County Board of Education. The latter two recognitions were for the neighborhood history projects that I initiated and designed. From 1987 to 1990, the Jefferson County Board of Education entrusted me with the task of creating two magnet programs (math & performing arts) at six different elementary schools. From 1990-2005, as a principal at Trunnell Elementary, the school's enrollment more than doubled and test scores continually progressed (Each fall, we enrolled new students from a neighboring school with continually declining test scores).
After retiring from public education, I joined the faculty at Louisville Collegiate School. I published a children's book, Postcards from William (William Clark writes home from the Lewis & Clark Expedition) in 2006. This historical fiction is a collection of charming postcards from William, written to George Rogers Clark at Clark's Point, Falls of the Ohio to chronicle the Lewis and Clark Expedition and create its ties to Louisville, Kentucky. My book presents a new take on the expedition of 1803-1806 with colorful postcards sent to General George Rogers Clark, creating a timeline of events. My books sells at the Kentucky History Museum, Old Fort Harrod State Park, Historic Locust Grove, The Falls of the Ohio Museum, Jeffersonville Welcome Center, Urban Farmhouse, Marcum's Gallery in Anchorage, South Bayly Boutique in Crescent Hill, various bookstores and my own One Room Schoolhouse. I took part in the 2007 Kentucky Book Fair. In 2008, I went on to develop a small business, The One Room Schoolhouse, at the Mellwood Art Center. I offer various classes for adults & youth, promote my books, and have developed a teacher consignment. I published two more books, Postcards from George (General George Rogers Clark writes to his family in Virginia), 2010 and Postcards from Daniel (Daniel Boone writes from the Kentucky Wilderness), 2014. Postcards from Abe is with the illustrator.
Activities and memberships outside of work: served as President of the Kentucky Environmental Education Association, contributor and member of the Filson Historical Society; Friends of Historic Locust Grove contributor and member; Jefferson County Retired Teachers Association (JCRTA); Kentucky Retired Teachers Association (KRTA); lifetime member 15th District PTA; the University of Kentucky Alumni Association; served as President of Fellowship Class, Chairman of Library Committee & Youth Board member at Beargrass Christian Church; member of the John Marshall Chapter of DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution); The Woman's Club of Louisville, and Leadership Louisville's 2010 Louisville Connector project. I presently operate a studio (The One Room Schoolhouse) at the Mellwood Art Center on Mellwood Avenue.
November 5, 2010, recognized by the
Kentucky Historical Society at the Old Capital Building in Frankfort, KY with their
Award of Distinction. Named an
Honorable Kentucky Colonel in 2014.
No comments:
Post a Comment